Monday, March 2, 2009

Brain Freezes and Ice Blocks


So, how about a Saturday 2 hour group bike ride followed by a 10 mile run???? Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday morning.....EXCEPT we are in Colorado you know!
Which means, that 6 of us actually showed at 8:30 in the morning at Chatfield Resevior with the temps hovering around 27 degrees.

We all piled on as many layers as we could find. I had 5 layers on my upper body and 3 on my lower; headband; windproof gloves (yea right); and shoe covers.......It was shortly before 9 am
when we set off for a "warm up" headed toward the dam.

I have never ridden in temps this cold before, and I can see why it's recommended to wait until the temps are about 32 at least. Talk about a Icee style BRAIN FREEZE! I royally had one. I didn't even know it was possible to get one with out actually drinking an Icee!

We climbed the dam road (no pun intended) and descended the back side....turned around and climbed back up the dam and by then things were feeling warmer! We did a few laps in the park and by the time 2 hours went by the temps were around 40 (I'm guessing.)

Our mission for this ride and run where to train at about 80% and the only thing we were suppose to do fast was our transition from bike to run. That was a little tough given the millions of layers that I had to take off.....but I got the job done, put on my running shoes and started off for a 10 mile run.....

As I started off running it was really weird feeling- or should I say, not feeling. It was as if I was running on huge logs of ICE BLOCKS! My feet had absolutely NO feeling in them. I logically new that they were somewhere under my legs, I just couldn't feel them. It was the weirdest experience!
And when the feeling in my feet did begin to come back, I had to stop because I thought my orthodics where in my shoes wrong....which they were just fine...it's just the feeling was coming back strangely.

The day continued to warm up and my run was uneventful- except that Waterton Canyon was beautiful and I felt as if I had a good run!
All in all- I would not have wanted to miss today and training with the gang. It's nice to know that others will be there when you show up on a cold morning to train. It just might not be as big of a group.....but hey- it's the only way to "go the distance".
(picture from Practical Coaching)

No comments:

Post a Comment