Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My First Love


Saturday I was able to return to my first love....Ok, so it's not what you're thinking....

Saturday- I was able to ROCK CLIMB!!!! Can you believe it! I was able to fit in an early morning climb in Eldorado Canyon.

You see, I'm new at this triathlon stuff......and my first true love is Rock Climbing. I spent 15 years living to Climb and Climbing to live. Pretty much any place I lived or job I took revolved around rock climbing. I ate, drank, slept, rock climbing! That's all I did- 4-5 days a week. I LOVED rock climbing!

So, this past Saturday, when I hiked up to the base of the crag; put on my harness; uncoiled the rope; and looked up at the rock- I was right at home. I felt as if an ancient piece of me had returned.

Sitting high above the stream and road I felt at home. Being close to the rock and getting ready to climb felt so familiar and brought such a sense of calm to me. I forgot how much I loved rock climbing. Not only for the actual act of climbing, but for all that goes with it. The views, the tranqulity, the beauty, the ritual of uncoiling the rope, putting on your harness and shoes, chalking up....it just feels right!

Now, I'm not saying I wasn't a bit rusty after over 2 years away from climbing....but once I got on the rock, my body just knew what to do....it just moved as it had all those millions of times before.

I took a bit of time to get up the 5.7 we were climbing- but I did it....and when I rappeled to the ground I realized I would have to make sure I climbed again soon! I love this too much to wait another two years to do....and just so you all know I didn't slack on my Ironman training.....I then went for a 8 mile run after my early morning climb! (and kicked butt on the run).








No comments:

Post a Comment