Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Taking a Time Out

Last Sunday I was scheduled to do my first bike ride in the mountains of the season. Not a super challenging ride, but a good one to start off with.....

I woke up that morning and the thing I really wanted to do was to crawl back in bed. But I got my stuff together and met my friend for the ride.....Still wanting to go back home and crawl into bed.

I thought how sometimes I feel this way but once I get going I start to come around and get moving just fine....Well this Sunday that was not the case.

I started off the easy- I mean easy "climb" up Deer Creek to the turnoff for High Grade. A few miles into the ride I was in my "granny gear", I'm talkin "granny gear" with a triple front ring....and I was still struggling with that! I had absolutely NOTHING in me. When I got to High Grade I decided I should cut my losses and turn around and call it a day......Which is exactly what I did.

I got home and crawled into bed for a 1 hour nap....and woke up feeling a bit under the weather.
I talked to Coach Andrea and we decided I should take Monday off and play it day by day.

Well, with the way I felt Monday I made the executive decision to take 3 full days off....and to NOT feel guilty about it. I have slept in, not trained, eaten well, slept extra hours, enjoyed doing nothing and did I mention, slept?

Today is Wednsday, and I also took today off work. I slept 12 hours straight! It was wonderful to not have to wake up at any particular time.....I have relaxed and the most I did today was write this blog. Now that's what I call a rest day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am somewhat feeling like I'm ready to get back to training, but I'm going to listen to my body. I have been going at it hard for over a year now, and have never taken 3 days off in a row.....and I may take another day off if that's what my body is telling me tomorrow.

Learning to listen to your body is part of training. We work on our bodies, our nutrition and we have to work on our recovery too. My body spoke loud and clear on Sunday and I am glad I listened. I have a long season a head....all the way through November. 3 or more days off right now may be just what I need...actually- I know it is.

So here's to taking a time out and being ok with that decision :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahem! What's this. I agree with you and your coach. Three days off is not much and paying attention to what your body needs is a must. Life is for challenges and also for smelling the roses.

    ReplyDelete