Monday, February 23, 2009

The Second 25 Miler

So I finished my second 25 miler within a 7 day span. Started off again as a cold clear day with temps in the 20's. You have to love the fact that we get to train year round in Colorado....it can just start off a bit on the cold side sometimes.

The run went stellar! I started at the Goodson Rec Center again and ran 5 out and back for the first 10 miles. When I reached my car at Mile 10 there was Kristen waiting to run the rest or the 15 miles with me. I must say that it is so nice to have someone out there running with you when you have that many miles to cover.

Kristen started out faster than I was running....and there went my ego again. I had to remember what Coach Andrea said- that the important thing is for me was to have a strong run. So I watched Kristen run off ahead of me. But it didn't matter that she was ahead, it was just nice knowing she was out here with me. Maybe misery does love company!!!!

As we were about 2 miles out from the rec center again (Mile 18 for me), I caught up with Kristen and we were able to finish the run to the cars together....and when we go there, Elizabeth was waiting to run the last 5 with us! We had a blast!!!!!!

I must say, it there is ANY one you want to run the last 5 miles of a long run with you, it's Elizabeth!!!!! She rocks! Elizabeth has wonderful stories to tell and she is so positive- that you literally forget that your feet hurt, or your left glute is hurting.....

So the three of us did our last 2.5 miles out and back for the final 5 miles. Running those last 2.5 miles I felt strong....I mean really strong. Elizabeth commented on how she was running harder than the previous week, which meant I was able to run a stronger pace. It's nice too having Elizabeth as a measure.... I know how I felt, but she could confirm that I was running stronger this week. And as we ran into the parking lot there were hugs all around, a min leg rubdown from Elizabeth, and we were off to the rest of our days.

I'm not sure when my next long (25 mi +) run may be....but I'm kinda sad that I don't have any on my training schedule for March. I have really enjoyed running this distance and finding in myself and ability I didn't know for sure that I had. I have learned how to pace myself, not based on a watch, but based on my own awareness of myself. It's kinda amazing how one about 1 year ago, I could not run worth a darn....and today I love 25 mile runs.....Anything truly is possible when we try. And I look forward to my next LONG RUN!
PS- Thank you Elizabeth for you support and laughs! And Kristen for being out there with me!
(video to come)

1 comment:

  1. Doreen for the first time I had the feeling that running 25 miles was fun. This was interesting to me, since I couldn't run five if I had to.

    Keep on, keepin' on. Cookie

    ReplyDelete