Monday, March 2, 2009

Any One UP for a Swim....


How about a 5:00 am swim on a Sunday morning....the day of rest- Yeah right! Not if you are a Practical Coaching athlete!

Yeap that's right. There where a few of us who are crazy enough to get up before the sunrise on a Sunday and get to the pool for some swimming. Did I say SOME swimming? Oh, wait a minute- I meant about 6K-7K worth of swimming!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning there was no socializing involved- it was straight to the business at hand of swimming 6000-7000 meters before 8:00 am when the pool opened to the public. I was given the task of swimming 6000 meters today (fortunately, although I think I will have a 7000 meter swim at the end of the month).

I had no idea how long it would take me to swim that far. My lane mate for this endeavor was Rob (You Rock Rob!!!!!) and we had fun (?) spending a few hours together swimming. Thank goodness for Rob- he knows how to count correctly.

Have you ever tried keeping track of 60 laps in an Olympic distance pool? It's hard! You have to remember what lap you are on so when you finish a lap you know what the next one is. For me- this is a challenge....I start thinking about stuff as I'm swimming and forget what number I'm on....One thing that kinda helps me is I alternate the side I breath on....left side is for odd numbers, right side for even. It's good in theory and seems to work good on the shorter swims....Again- Thank you Rob for keeping me honest! :)

I must say, I enjoyed the swim...I can't believe how fast over 2 hours passed! It did not feel like I was swimming for that long. The more I do this long distance stuff the more I realize I LOVE IT! Maybe it's the endorphins...or maybe I get a huge dopamine dump as I'm training...I don't know...I just know I love the long workouts! Come to think of it-that's a really good thing since I'll be doing an Ironman in Nov. Can you imagine if I hated these long workouts- I'd be hosed!

Anyway- here's to going to church today at Carmody Rec Center and having my spiritual experience while swimming.....there is nothing better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)


3 comments:

  1. Hello you little prune. Keep your ears dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were just having so much fun that you wanted to go for 7000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Doreen! I had no idea 6K was on your schedule. What a day! You are a lot of fun and certainly a genuine encouraging person.

    ReplyDelete